Helping Local People
Breathe Easier and Healthier
RESPIRATORY SERVICES, PULMONARY REHABILITATION and SUPPORT GROUPS
Our Respiratory Therapists provide cardiopulmonary evaluations, diagnostic testing, therapeutics, monitoring, patient assessments and patient/family/community education services to patients of all ages.
Services are provided 24 hours a day to both inpatients and outpatients throughout the hospital. Our therapists collaborate with medical staff and other departments to assess a patient's needs and establish a plan of care.
Our staff includes:
- Physician Director, specializing in pulmonary and sleep medicine
- Administrative Director
- Department Manager and Supervisors
- Clinical Educator
- Pulmonary Lab Technologist
- Respiratory Therapists (licensed respiratory therapist or respiratory therapy technician)
- Medical Secretary
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Glens Falls Hospital is for those who suffer from pulmonary diseases and related conditions that may hinder their living activities. The program is open to individuals with any chronic lung disease including:
- chronic bronchitis
- pulmonary fibrosis
The focus of pulmonary rehabilitation is to restore and promote healthy habits and improve day-to-day living experiences. Pulmonary Rehab is a supervised program of exercise and education. Patients visit the center three times a week and are under the care of the Pulmonary Rehab staff, which consists of registered nurses, exercise physiologists and a medical director.
- Close cooperation with your physician.
- Personalized exercise program.
- Coordination of your care by an experienced professional nurse.
- Personal and group education for patients and families including:
- Breathing techniques
- Daily living skills
- How to use your medical equipment, such as oxygen, inhalers and nebulizers
You'll be surprised at how much you can achieve!
Pulmonary Rehab will help you:
- Do more of the things you enjoy.
- Do daily activities, such as household tasks, with less shortness of breath.
- Learn to relax and not panic when you feel short of breath.
- Get answers to your healthcare questions.
- Set and meet realistic goals.
Breathing Better at Glens Falls Hospital
Breathing Better at Glens Falls Hospital is a free monthly meeting and support group open to all adults with a chronic respiratory disease such as asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema. The meetings are held the third Tuesday of the month from April through November at 7 p.m. in the Community Learning Center located across from the Bistro on the first floor of the new Northwest Tower of the hospital. A guest speaker at each meeting presents a different topic related to chronic respiratory disease. After each presentation, the members can ask questions or share their concerns and problems with the guest speaker or other members of the group who may have similar issues. Light refreshments are provided at each meeting and an annual dinner is held at the November meeting.
For more information, please contact Kerry Sumner or Vicky Cooper in Respiratory Care Services at 926-2082.