What is Speech-Language Therapy?
Speech-Language therapy is a rehabilitation service that helps individuals maximize their ability to understand language, express their thoughts and swallow safely. At Glens Falls Hospital, speech-language pathologists work with individuals of all ages in the hospital, outpatient clinics and area skilled nursing facilities. Our focus is on early identification, diagnosis, consultation, and treatment.
Speech Therapy Services Typically Include:
- Diagnosis of speech, language or swallowing problems
- Individual or group therapy for speech, language or swallowing problems
- Counseling and guidance to families and patients
About Speech-Language Pathologists
Our speech-language pathologists hold a master's degree with extensive study in speech-language, swallowing development and disorders; a New York State license to practice; and a Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. A major focus of speech-language pathologists' work is appropriate diagnoses of the communication problem and formulation of a treatment program in concert with the patient and their family.
Who Benefits from Speech-Language Therapy?
Individuals of all ages benefit from Speech Therapy including:
- Children with delayed speech and language development
- Individuals who have:
- Difficulty understanding what they read or hear
- Difficulty expressing spoken or written words
- Voice loss or hoarseness
- Stuttering or fluency problems
- Swallowing difficulty